5 Essential Boho Beauty Tips
Boho beauty to me isn't just about the style of clothes you wear or keeping up with the latest trends. Yes, that stuff is fun and I get suckered into it (hello, Free People on Pinterest), but really, it's about your lifestyle. When I started this blog, my intention was to teach others that beauty is not just what you put on your skin. It's what you put in your body, how you think and spend your time. It's also about using what Mother Earth has made available to us.
And realizing, that we really don't need that much when it comes down to it.
So in thinking about this, I came up with what are my top five essential bohemian beauty tips.
Tips for Bohemian Beauties
- Use natural ingredients for beauty– This is a no brainer. Using natural ingredients seems to be making its way into the mainstream beauty world which I'm stoked about. When I really began to delve into using non-toxic beauty products, it was rare to find people who even thought about this stuff. It's funny that at one point I was embarrassed to admit that I washed my face with honey, now I tell the world about all the so called weird stuff that I do. So, keep it natural. Either make your own products or buy truly natural products that you've done your research on.
- Eat healthy – I mean really, really healthy. A treat, a beer or whatever it is that floats your boat is fine every once in awhile, but be honest with yourself. I didn't truly see changes in my skin until I really began to look at what I ate. That meant cutting out the junk food and cutting down a lot on the alcohol. It also meant getting excited about eating healthy. Don't make it a chore. Once you get your mind set that eating healthy feels way better than giving in to your temptations, then you know you're on the right track.
- Create a morning tonic – The morning should be an important part of your daily beauty and health routine. It goes hand in hand. Sipping on a tonic first thing in the morning will help cleanse your body of the ickiness that has built up over night and is great for your digestive system. My go to tonic at the moment is my Antioxidant Drink. Hot water with lemon also works well. This is something you can tailor to yourself, but I highly recommend adding some astringent properties to it like lemon or apple cider vinegar to help with the cleanse. You can add honey or stevia to sweeten it up a bit.
- Self massage – Give your body a little tlc and it will love you back. Every morning and evening I give myself a little facial massage with coconut oil right before I wash my face. This not only works as a natural make up remover, but it gets the blood flowing and feels good. When you feel good you look good, right? Right.
- Deep breathing and yoga – Since beauty and health go hand in hand, it makes sense that I should include some sort of physical activity in this list. In my opinion, yoga is the best choice when it comes to boho beauty, mainly because you're not only working out your body, but you're also calming your mind which relieves stress. Stress is a beauty killer. I can see it in my own face during stressful times and then when I'm happy, jeez, I look so much better. Yoga does that for me. Most exercise will relieve stress in some way, but what I've found to be so effective with yoga is the controlled breathing. It totally calms my mind and puts me in a relaxed state even when it's hard! Feeling calm and retaining beauty go and in hand. It's sort of a spiritual thing, I don't really know how to explain it but I've found that it works in my experience.
This is meant to be a guide or map. Of course there are so many other tips within these categories, but these are the essential basics that form a great boho beauty routine.
Don't forget to save this article on Pinterest!