Staying Calm During Stress
I'm about to leave to go camping in the desert. This week has been a whirlwind, I don't even know where to start. I'm going through a lot of life changes, a lot of uncertainty, questioning and fear. Yet, some clarity too. I've been extremely busy with work, busy with my personal life and also trying to do the things I love, like this blog.
But I'm surprised that I've been able to stay as calm as I have. I don't know if it's getting older or maybe because I do yoga on a regular basis, but I've managed to not let the stress take over. It's not easy! I'm not floating through these hard times, it's a struggle, but I'm managing.
What I've learned through this period in my life are a couple of key things that I'm doing now that I didn't used to do.
How to Stay Calm During Stress
- Know when to keep busy and know when you need a break. Keeping busy with the things I love has kept my mind in a sane place. But I also let my body and mind rest and think about the important things when it needs to. Some may call it distraction, which kind of has a negative connotation to it. I say, sometimes distraction is needed as long as it's not destructive. Plus dwelling on bad shit all the time is pretty harmful. Having balance is key.
- Yoga and deep breathing have helped me tremendously. When I'm having an incredibly busy or rough day, there is nothing like a yoga class to make me feel better. And I've started to consciously watch my breathing, making sure I don't hold my breath under stress.
- Hang out with friends. I'm the type of person that tends to pull back when I'm going through a stressful time. I have to say, hanging out with my girlfriends lately has really lifted my spirits.
- Keep eating right, but treat yourself every once in awhile. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know I tend to be on the anal side when it comes to food. But man, an occasional glass of wine, chocolate or some steak really, really makes me happy.
- Take some time to have some tea and do nothing. Sitting on the couch and spacing out I'm realizing, is one of my favorite pastimes.
And eventually, the storm will pass.