Five Essential Boho Beauty Tips
The boho lifestyle and beautiful skin go hand in hand in our world, babe. Since I was a kid (born in '79) and figured out that I had just missed the heydays of the late 60s and 70s, I had sort of an obsession with with everything bohemian.
But boho beauty to me isn't just about the style of clothes you wear or keeping up with the latest trends. Yes, that stuff is fun and all, and I get suckered into it (hello, Instagram and Pinterest), but really, it's about the lifestyle.
When I started this site, my intention was to teach others that beauty is not just what you put on your skin. It's what you put in your body, how you think and spend your time. It's also about using what Mother Earth has made available to us.
And realizing, that we really don't need that much when it comes down to it.
So in thinking about this, I came up with what are my top five essential boho beauty tips below.
Tips for Boho Beauties
- Use natural ingredients for beauty– This is a no brainer. Using natural ingredients seems to be making its way into the mainstream beauty world, which I'm stoked about. When I really began to delve into using non-toxic beauty products, it was rare to find people who even thought about this stuff. It's funny that at one point I was embarrassed to admit that I washed my face with honey, now I tell the world about all of the so called weird stuff that I do. So, keep it natural. Here at Salt & Ritual, we're all about making our own beauty products. So much so that I created the digital guide, the Babe-Face DIY Skincare Starter Kit just for you boho babes who want to learn how to make your own luxurious skincare routine at home. Plus check out our Babe Cove Blog for our latest boho beautiful recipes.
- Eat healthy – I mean really, really healthy. A treat, a beer or whatever it is that floats your boat is fine every once in awhile, but be honest with yourself. I didn't truly see changes in my skin until I really began to look at what I ate. That meant cutting out the junk food and cutting down a lot on the alcohol. It also meant getting excited about eating healthy. Don't make it a chore. Once you get your mind set that eating healthy feels way better than giving in to your temptations, then you know you're on the right track.
- Create a morning tonic – The morning should be an important part of your daily beauty and health routine. It goes hand in hand. Sipping on a tonic first thing in the morning will help cleanse your body of the ickiness that has built up over night and is great for your digestive system. Hot water with lemon also works well. This is something you can tailor to yourself, but I highly recommend adding some astringent properties to it like lemon or apple cider vinegar to help with the cleanse. You can add honey or stevia to sweeten it up a bit. Afterwards we recommend having a vitamin-packed smoothie like one of our sweet elixir recipes in our Glossy Skin Elixirs Collection to promote healthy skin from the inside out.
- Go outside – As much as I'm boho-beach-babe at heart, the majority of my weekdays are spent working on my computer. While I love what I do, I don't love spending so much time staring at a screen. It can make you feel exhausted at the end of the day. Since we live just a five minute walk from the beach, my favorite thing to do is walk barefoot in the sand, hopefully on a warm sunny day. Some people call it grounding or earthing, but walking around barefoot outside has a big impact on my mood and overall well-being. Which means, I feel better on the inside and my skin looks more refreshed.
- Deep breathing and yoga – Since beauty and health go hand in hand, it makes sense that I should include some sort of physical activity in this list. In my opinion, yoga is the best choice when it comes to boho beauty, mainly because you're not only working out your body, but you're also calming your mind which relieves stress. Stress is a beauty killer. I can see it in my own face during stressful times and then when I'm happy, jeez, I look so much better. Yoga does that for me. Most exercise will relieve stress in some way, but what I've found to be so effective with yoga is the controlled breathing. It totally calms my mind and puts me in a relaxed state even when it's hard. Feeling calm and retaining beauty go and in hand. It's sort of a spiritual thing, I don't really know how to explain it but I've found that it works in my experience.
This is meant to be a guide or map. Of course there are so many other tips within these categories, but these are the essential basics that form a great boho beauty routine.
If you enjoyed this article, don't forget to save this article on Pinterest, babe.
Kate – Founder of Salt & Ritual
Disclaimer: All information on Salt & Ritual is based on our experience and is provided for educational and general informational purposes only. The topics discussed in this post may not be suitable for your particularly situation and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Always seek professional medical advice before trying anything you read online. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, and your individual results may vary.