Marinated Figs and Strawberries with Sweet Raspberry Coconut Sauce
Yummy fruit salad with figs, strawberries and a raspberry coconut sauce. Marinated with balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Vegan and gluten-free.
I had a bunch of fruit left over from my Chocolate Almond Butter Toast post so I figured I'd use them for a recipe I'd been wanting to try. Trader Joe's has fresh figs for a great price at the moment, a big box at around four bucks so I knew I wanted to try marinating them along with some strawberries.
My original plan to grill the figs and then drizzle a sweet balsamic vinegar sauce on top. However both times I tried to grill them, they turned to mush and stuck to my panini grill. I'm just a home cook so I'm sure I was missing a step because I've heard of others grilling figs successfully. But for some reason, it wasn't happening for me!
Marinated Figs and Strawberries
So I scrapped the grilling idea and instead decided to marinate the figs and strawberries with a sweet balsamic vinegar sauce. I decided on a simple vegan sauce literally made of balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Those two ingredients are so flavorful that you really don't need anything else. The fruit turned out super sweet.
I also knew I wanted to use a version of the raspberry coconut cream I used for the Chocolate Almond Butter Toast, but with a slight twist. This one is less thick with a bit of maple syrup. Still pretty tart, which pairs nicely with the marinated fruit. Lastly, I added some basil leaves from the garden for color and pop of flavor.
Marinated Figs and Strawberries with a Sweet Raspberry Coconut Sauce
- 5 figs
- 5 strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of raspberries
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk
- 4 to 5 basil fresh leaves
- Slice strawberries and figs into thin slices.
- Place sliced pieces in a bowl and add the balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Mix and place in fridge for at least a couple of hours or overnight if possible.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the raspberries, coconut milk and 1/2 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Once the fruit has been marinated place in a blow and drizzle the coconut sauce on top.
- Tear some fresh basil leaves on top and enjoy.